About the RLS Dean’s Scholarship
Riara University was born out of a sincere desire to provide a comprehensive approach to higher education. It is a logical continuation of our commitment, dating back to 1974, to ensure education and development of the whole person. Riara Law School (RLS) seeks to answer the call to excellence in legal education. Structured to transcend archaic legal formalism, the LL.B. programme adopts a fresh, interdisciplinary approach to legal education to equip students with advanced legal knowledge, efficacious lawyering skills, and moral perspectives necessary to harness law, politics, economy, and culture, to the ends of justice.
The RLS curriculum has been expertly crafted to nurture a problem-solving lawyer who is aware of the social, economic and political context within which the law exists and one who understands and crafts solutions for Africa and beyond. Informed by the legacy of the founders, the Riara Law School Dean’s Scholarship wishes to support exceptional students to harness their potential and channel it into becoming this innovative problem solving lawyer and a leader who can speak persuasively to issues of global concern. Four (4) scholarships are available for the October 2012 Intake.
The ideal candidate for this prestigious award must show promise and have an outstanding record in the following areas:
1. Academic excellence;
2. Co-curricular activities;
4. Community service; and
5. Innovation in problem solving.
The RLS Dean’s Scholars will be entitled to the following benefits:
1. 50% rebate (grant) on tuition fees per semester;
2. Arranged internships at top law firms in the country, NGOs and other Civil Society Organizations, Government institutions, multilateral organizations, corporations and management consulting firms;
3. A semester abroad in a world class institution of higher learning; and
4. An aggressive placement programme beyond graduation.
Other benefits will include mentorship, facilitation in postgraduate studies application processes, and invitations to prestigious school and other relevant events.
Applicants to the RLS Dean’s Scholarship must apply to the LL.B. programme using the standard application form available for download at Application Form or collected from our campus on Mbagathi Way, Nairobi. In addition to that, scholarship applicants must submit a typed essay of 1,000 words and give contacts of two (2) referees including full names, organization, telephone numbers, and email addresses. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. To be considered, all application materials must be received by October 20th 2012.
Terms and Conditions
1. Dean’s scholars must maintain exceptional academic standing throughout their LL.B. programme;
2. They must remain enrolled at the University for the four year duration of the programme;
3. They must be citizens of the East African Community (EAC); and
4. They will have to sign a contract with Riara University declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the Scholarship.
We encourage applications from persons of diverse backgrounds.