Vice Chancellor Riara University, Prof. Robert Gateru pays courtesy call to the Embassy of the State of Israel
The Vice Chancellor, Prof. Gateru, prompted the meeting of the role that Riara University continues to play in the Kenyan higher education sector, including, social and technological innovations in business, ICT, diplomacy, multimedia journalism and education. The Vice Chancellor reiterated that Riara University continues to receive positive feedback from employers of Riara University graduates. On this note, strengthening relationship between the two institutions would go a long way in contributing to the cordial relations between the State of Israel and Kenya’s education sector.
On his part, Ambassador Yahel Vilan, informed the meeting that the State of Israel works with institutions of higher learning in Kenya to strengthen their ICT and employability skills for youth employment and empowerment. H.E., the Ambassador, added that the Embassy was keen on establishing channels for encouraging university students from Israel to visit and explore Kenya in different fields of study, including African studies.
The two leaders exhumed confidence that partnership between Riara University and the Embassy of the State of Israel was key in realizing some of the following development initiatives:
- Riara University to host the annual Holocaust Memorial event starting early 2018;
- Agreement for exchange program between Riara University and institutions of higher learning in Israel;
- Voluntarism among students from Israel willing to work with Riara University to be encouraged;
- Agreement for sending Riara University students or/staff to the Golda Meir Mount Carmel International Training Centre in Israel; and
- Jointly organizing guest lectures and field trips for experts from Israel’s institutions and organizations.
The Riara University VC was accompanied by, Dr. Francis Onditi, Head of Department, School of International Relations and Diplomacy, Dr. Joy Mueni, Head of Department, School of Journalism and Multimedia and Ms. Beverlyne Mudeshi, Director, Quality Assurance and Institutional Strategy.